Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Extree, Extree

What a week! I've been just reeling from the news about FRANNY!

I've had the intention of creating a press release for myself for about a year; it was a challenge that I wanted to meet by creating my own buzz and not being afraid to share my successes. If there was ever a good time to make one, this was it!


FROM 30 ROCK CARVEL CUTIE TO INDIE STARLET


CHARACTER DUMPLING FINDS DREAM ROLE IN “FRANNY”


Actress Jen Ponton is about to embark upon the kind of role that most actors only dream of—the title role in Ash Christian's indie comedy, FRANNY.

Making this opportunity all-the-more juicy is the fact that Ponton is a woman of size—a budding market as studios and networks try to better reflect the diversity of their viewers. Indeed, after actress Melissa McCarthy (ABC's“Mike and Molly”) took home an Emmy, plus-size actresses are facing new and exciting career prospects. For Ponton, it is no different. “I know that my type is classically the best friend and the second banana,” she says, “but I've always felt like I had the spirit of a leading lady.”

Walking into a room, Ponton is a human cupcake. Adorably plump with blonde hair, bright colors and a smile from ear-to-ear. She is bubbly and radiant. She will be right at home as Franny, who is confident, lovely, brave and kind--and who ends up being the hero of her own story.

It's like a dream come true!” exclaims Ponton, who, only one year ago, had a memorable co-star on NBC's “30 Rock” as a sweet and gullible Carvel employee who is scammed by Kelsey Grammer. The episode, “Reaganing,” was nominated for an Emmy, and was Ponton's first breakthrough role.

When asked what's on the horizon for her, Ponton gushes, “Sitcoms! A series regular, that would be my dream.” And the world of film? “I really love Christopher Guest, I think I'd swallow my tongue if I got to work with him.” She also expressed interest in Judd Apatow and Paul Rudd. “They're the new great comedy,” she says. “They're the ones putting out the best brand of funny, and I feel so aligned with that.”

FRANNY begins filming this November in upstate New York.

Jen Ponton is a New York-based actress, with recent credits on “30 Rock,” “Law & Order: SVU,” Adult Swim's “The Heart, She Holler,” and the feature films “King Kelly” and “Jack and Diane.” She is represented by Prestige Management. www.JenPonton.com

Actress AND Journalist. AND I made my first meatloaf last week. Winning!

<3
Jen